John established Sanderson Wealth Management in 2001 after a successful 27-year career with Ernst & Young, where he became a partner at the age of 33. His vision for the new venture was to provide sophisticated, individualized, and comprehensive financial services to entrepreneurs, business owners, and high-net-worth individuals.
Since the formation of the firm, John has utilized his extensive experience to integrate all aspects of a client’s financial portfolio, including existing assets, future assets, and inherited wealth, while also focusing on succession planning, income taxation, and estate taxation.
John also plays an essential role in mentoring and developing our younger professionals. The expertise he shares, the lessons he imparts, and the values he instills elevate our team as a whole and has solidified the long-term future of the firm.
JOHN ADVISES CLIENTS ON:
Experience and credentials.
- Ernst & Young – Held positions of Area Office Managing Partner, member of the Partner Advisory Committee, member of firm-wide Financial Planning and Education Committee, and member of firm-wide IAS Committee
- Designations of Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA®)
- Past affiliations include: Member of NYS Board of Accountancy, President of Buffalo Chapter NYSSCPA, President of Estate Analysts of Western New York, Director of Financial Planning Counselors of WNY, Chair of Annual Institute on Taxation, and Director of WNY Planned Giving Consortium
- BBA in Accounting, summa cum laude | Niagara University
- Honored by Niagara University with the following: honorary doctoral degree in Commercial Science; Outstanding Business Alumnus of the 1970s Award; Dean’s Award for the College of Business Administration; John T. Kennedy Award for accounting excellence; and Dunleavy Award for exceptional professional success, outstanding charitable services, and consistent loyalty to his alma mater
A lifelong resident of Western New York, John is extremely active within the community and has dedicated his time and experience to numerous not-for-profit organizations. He currently serves as treasurer, finance committee chair, and member of the executive committee of the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. He is also the co-founder and president of the Zoological Society of Buffalo Foundation. Previously, John fulfilled the roles of treasurer, director, and executive committee member of the Greater Buffalo Partnership.
John stays connected with his alma mater as Trustee Emeritus (after serving eight years as Trustee) and member of the Investment Committee at Niagara University. In 2009, John and his wife Karen were honored with the Outstanding Philanthropists of the Year Award by the Western New York Chapter of Fundraising Professionals.